What is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
The British Lung Foundation describes Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or COPD as
‘a group of lung conditions that make it difficult to empty air out of the lungs because your airways have been narrowed’.
Two of these lung conditions are persistent Bronchitis and Emphysema, which can also occur together.
- Bronchitis means the airways are inflamed and narrowed and sufferers often producing sputum, or phlegm.
- Emphysema affects the air sacs at the end of the airways in the lung. This causes the lungs become baggy and full of holes, trapping air.
These processes narrow the airways making it more difficult to move air in and out and the lungs. This means they are less able to take in oxygen and get rid of carbon dioxide.
It’s no surprise that anyone suffering from COPD will do anything they can to make breathing easier. This may be medication or a medical procedure, but it is entirely possible that Certified Pure Essential Oils can help manage COPD. I choose DoTERRA oils because they are 100% pure and rigorously tested to ensure consistency. It is important not to stop using prescribed medication without consulting a medical professional. Essential oils should be treated with the same respect as prescribed medications. At the moment, there is NO actual legislation on the purity of essential oils, another reason I choose to use DoTerra. Their Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) standard, guarantees purity and potency of all their oils
The Essential Oils I recommend for COPD are:
Eucalyptus has been used in Chinese, Indian Ayurvedic and Greek medicine for thousands of years. It provides pain relief because its top properties are Antiviral, Antibacterial, Expectorant and Analgesic. These help to create a stronger immune system, reduce flare-ups and shortness of breath and airway inflammation.
For best results use the oil aromatically, either in an Essential Oil Diffuser or inhaled straight from the bottle. Apply directly on to the chest diluted with a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil or Jojoba oil at a ratio of 1-2 drops of oil to a teaspoon of carrier oil to prevent irritation.
Emotionally, Eucalyptus is the Oil of Wellness and supports anyone facing illness. It addresses deep emotional or spiritual issues and encourages individuals to take responsibility for their own health. Trusting and believing that they are health, fit and well once again.
Did you know? Eucalyptus was widely used in World War 1 to control infections and influenza.
Lavender has sedative, antihistamine, relaxing and soothing properties which helps the body fight the growth and progression of the disease. Studies show that individuals exposed to Lavender have lower stress hormones and since stress can make COPD worse, can help combat this. Apply directly to the back of the neck, temples or throat and any sensitivity can be reduced by diluting in the same ratio as Eucalyptus.
Emotionally, Lavender is the Oil of Communication and Calm. It gently encourages emotional honesty and open communication.
Did you know? Lavender means ‘to wash’ in Latin. It is possibly the most used essential oil globally, and for good reason, as it very calming!
Bergamot is antibacterial and antifungal and helps to protect against other health conditions. It can boost mood, reducing negative emotions and fatigue. Dilute as for Eucalyptus and apply topically to the chest.
Emotionally, Bergamot is the Oil of Self-Acceptance. It encourages an optimistic outlook, releasing any self-judgement and negative beliefs.
Did you know? Bergamot was used in the first Eau de Cologne and is still used to flavour Earl Grey tea.
DoTERRA Essential Oil Users Have Found The Following To Assist In COPD Support:
- Take 3 drops each of Oregano, Lemon, Melaleuca and On Guard Blend in a capsule daily. After 10 days, replace the Oregano with Basil or Marjoram and take a probiotic for at least 5 days.
- Rub Breathe Blend (can add extra Peppermint Oil if you want to) around the nose and chest, at least twice a day.
- Rub 2-3 drops of Frankincense on chest 1-2 times a day, and rub 2-3 drops of Balance Blend on feet nightly (helps oxygenate the blood).
- Diffuse Breathe Blend in the.
- Rub Aromatouch Blend on bottoms of feet nightly (helps increase blood circulation).
HELPFUL LIFE CHANGES:
Anyone with COPD must stop smoking because this is the best way to slow down the lung damage.
- Increase the amount of water you drink each day. A common symptom of COPD is having mucus collect in the airways. This mucus can be difficult to clear, causing persistent and uncontrollable coughing but drinking at least eight glasses of water daily can thin mucus and keep the body hydrated.
- Diffusers can also help make breathing easier, particularly at night.
Try to avoid chemicals
- In a 2015 study looking at 167 participants diagnosed with COPD, more than 60 percent of participants reported cleaning supplies as a trigger for COPD symptoms. More than half of participants reported that perfumes, scented candles and aerosol sprays triggered their COPD. By using natural DIY household products, you can avoid chemicals and improve COPD symptoms.
- Essential Oils can also be used around the home, so look out for my Greener Cleaning classes!
COPD in Women
- Deaths from COPD are much higher in women because in the late 1960s, the tobacco industry intensely targeted women. This resulted in a huge increase in women smokers and there are more new cases of smoking-related diseases, including COPD, as women age. Women are also more vulnerable to lung damage from cigarette smoke and other pollutants because their lungs are smaller. Oestrogen can also contribute to lung disease.
- Women are often misdiagnosed because COPD has traditionally been thought of as a man’s disease and many doctors still don’t expect to see it in women, missing a correct diagnosis.
Essential oils should not be used to replace prescribed medication. You should not stop taking any medication without consulting a medical professional. If you feel you may be suffering from COPD, please consult your Doctor.
If you would like to order any of these oils, just contact me with your requirements.
Find me on Facebook